Glaucoma and Cataracts
Many cataract patients also have a condition called glaucoma. Glaucoma causes damage to the optic nerve due to an increase of fluid pressure in the eye. Fortunately, there is a now a procedure that can address the open-angle type of glaucoma during cataract surgery: iStent© Trabecular Micro-Bypass.
A Difference You Can See
Our ability to treat more than one vision problem at a time will allow you to get back to living your life to its fullest much quicker
iStent is the first minimally invasive glaucoma surgery device that can be implanted during cataract surgery. It helps lower eye pressure by improving the natural outflow of fluid through a permanent opening (stent) in the trabecular meshwork (the area where fluid should naturally drain). Open-angle glaucoma is often caused by a blockage in the trabecular meshwork of the eye. Approximately two thirds of patients receiving an iStent are able to come off of one or more eye pressure lowering drops after surgery.
Benefits of iStent
- Smallest FDA-approved glaucoma treatment medical device
- Continually controls eye pressure
- May reduce your need for medicated eye drops
- Invisible and comfortable
- Does not limit future vision treatment or glaucoma treatment options
- iStent is inserted through the same incision that is used for the cataract surgery procedure
- Covered by medical insurance
To learn more about iStent technology in Carlsbad, California, contact us today to arrange a Cataract Evaluation.